Frank lloyd wright pottery house for sale.
Up for sale in Santa Fe, New Mexico is Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Pottery House’, the only adobe structure ever designed by the celebrated architect. Pottery House belongs stylistically to his later Usonian work. Wright conceived the ‘Pottery House’ model for newspaperman Lloyd Burlingham in 1942, but was unable to finish the project before his death in 1959. Developer Charles Klotsche would later retrieve Wright’s constructs from Taliesin Architects and created an updated design that increased the original 2,400-square-foot floor plan to 4,900. Taliesin’s Charles Montooth, a former apprentice of Wright’s, was eventually commissioned to oversee construction and final planning.
[ vitals ]
* listing $4.75m usd
* conceived 1942 | finished 1985
* nine acres of elevated plot provides pristine 360-degree views of Santa Fe desert landscape
* two pools ( a lap pool would be welcomed )
* underground two-car garage
* spheroid design was said to be inspired by Native American pottery
* hidden spa facility with grand hot tub, steam sauna and private library
Usonian style: Mr. Wright’s intent was to develop a grammar and construction method for the production of simple, affordable, beautiful houses. In recent years, these works stand as eloquent solutions to a most complex and elusive architectural problem: the affordable single family dwelling. A 1934 prototype, the Willey House was built for $5,500 including architectural fees. [ pottery house ]