A home that makes the Smart car, standing side-by-side, look like a SUV. No, an 18-wheeler.
“Micro-Compact Home” [m-ch] was inspired by Japanese tea houses, yes, the Smart car and first class air travel. They are lightweight, modular, mobile and very minimal 2.65m (roughly 77 sq ft). That equates into a 266 x 266 x 266 centimeter cube ‘Home,’ Imagine that? It’s not for the claustrophobic, a dwelling non-the-less, for one or two people. This is not a tent, a trailer, but a home, in a super compact design.
The tiny cube provides a double bed on an upper level and working table and dining space for four to five people on the lower level. The entrance area has triple use: it functions as a bathroom and drying space for clothing, in addition to a lobby. Costing $80,000 USD, this little prefab integrates state-of-the-art technology into its compact design, boasting a sound system, flat screen TV, and temperature controls. It requires no furniture and all storage space is cleverly concealed within the structure of the dwelling.
The m-ch has a timber frame structure with anodised aluminium external cladding, insulated with polyurethane and fitted with aluminium frame double glazed windows and front door with security double lock; graphics can be applied for sponsors, exhibition and business use.
The m-ch measures 266cm x 266cm x 266cm. The ceiling height is 198cm and the door width is 60cm.
The unit weighs 2.2 tonnes.
Inside the m-ch features:
* two compact double beds, each measuring 198cm x 107cm, with covered cushions
* storage space for bedding and cleaning equipment
* a sliding table measuring 105cm x 65cm, for dining for up to five people
* flat screen television in the living/dining space
* a shower and toilet cubicle
* a kitchen area, which is fitted with electrical points and features a double hob, sink and extending tap, microwave, fridge and freezer units, three compartment waste unit, storage shelves, cutlery drawers with gentle return sprung slides and double level work surfaces
* thermostat controlled ducted warm air heating, air conditioning, water heating
* fire alarm and smoke detectors